You Are The Temple of God



Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in your midst? 1 Corinthians 3:16

The past couple of days we have covered fear and being overwhelmed. Today I am going to shift gears and talk a bit and talk about the scripture above. I have heard over the past few days pastors, minsters, and church leaders talk about how the restrictions in place is against their right to worship. That the building is the temple of God. As we discussed we are in uncharted waters these are times many of us have not seen in our lifetime. Our government has asked every one to stay home, kids can not go to school, parents can not go to work, and social distancing is in place for good reason. We are all in isolation this is not targeted to one group nor any religion. It is foolish for a church leader to want to carry on as if nothing is happening in this world. I for one understand the importance of worship and fellowship but I also know the importance of keeping my family, friends and neighbors safe. And I think God would agree that it is important too. One of the most important things in our relationship with God is sacrifice and this is a time that it is crucial that we do. I am not talking about sacrificing our time with him, I am talking about how so many are misled in what this actually means. 

First, I want to say that I have nothing against churches, and I am sure there are many out there that are good churches. However, I will share something not to condemn churches but to validate the scripture above. My personal experiences have not been that good with religion. I was not born again in a church, I was born again through the most painful experience in my life. I was alone by myself in a room with no one in this world by my side. My husband was at work and my son was just a toddler. There was no minister, no pastor, no church family. It was just me and God. In my darkest most painful time in my life I fell to my knees and begged him to save me. I was not done with life I was done with this world. I wanted a Savior to take every thing that was eating me alive gone, everything that broke my heart I wanted a new life a better way. I wanted God to save me and at that moment he did...my situation did not change but God gave me everything I needed to change towards what was going on in my life. He pulled me up out of the quicksand I was on. Placed me on a path that was saturated in His word I grew I learned he was all that I needed. I was raised in an environment where God was talked about not taught. I was not taught who Yeshua really was I knew he died on the cross but the connection of why, was never given to me. From the time I was a small child I heard my mother talk poorly of the Jewish people and how they gave him the thumbs down to be crucified how wrong that was. After I was born again and learned that it was God's will to blind His people for the salvation of mankind. I asked her one day, Mom, if they did not crucify him where would "you" be today? 

This was not taught to me by a Church, I have learned more of the truth of who God is away from the church than I ever did walking into a building made by man. Why? Because God's Spirit is everywhere he dwells in each one of us we are the church we are the temple of God. Where we go he goes with us. No matter where you are you "can fellowship" with him, talk with him and like a best friend you can ever have he is there waiting so very patiently for you. His love is not contained by a building or temple his love can not be withheld. Nor can it only be given to you by a man in the pulpit. It is like raging flood waters it will over flow with in and spill out to others. No matter if you are in a building filled with thousands of people or like me all alone in a room on a warm summer day. Honestly, you do not have to call on him, he is already there always has been. He is just waiting for you to look up and reach out because his hand is already extended. Would you allow your child to go to school right now during this pandemic? How much do you love your child? Today, I will ask you, is going to a building during a pandemic more important than what is the true temple of God? What would God's answer be to that question would it be the same as yours about your child? 

Amen.
Shannon Wendler