More Like Mike



I have often wondered what paradise would have been like had Adam and Eve not brought sin into the world. What it would have been like to walk in a garden built just for me. The beauty I am sure is indescribable the most indescribable is being able to walk with a perfect God every single day. To have him seek me out...only to just walk with me. When God created us at the beginning he created 'perfect' beings. God makes no mistakes and trust me we were flawless. No pain, aches, sorrow, or tears. There was nothing but light then, no darkness. It was perfect beings in a perfect garden surrounded by a perfect God. Oh how we have all  fallen from grace, we have lost so much. As His children our desire should always be to getting back to that place with him. And we will, he just has a lot of work to do before we can be there again.
 
Today I encountered a young man that gave me inspiration, hope, and motivation. As my son and I sat at the drive through waiting on our fries. We were joking and laughing like we always do. I looked up and I saw him in a motorized wheel chair his right hand was drawn up to his neck. As he got close to my vehicle he stopped and looked up at me. He smiled at me and said "Hi" I immediately was drawn to him. I told him "Hello" he said "I am so happy" I said "You are?" that is great", he said "yeah I have a job." He had a polo shirt on with "Regal" logo on it. I told him he had a dream job and that I would love to work at a movie theater. He just beamed. But it was not until I told him "God Bless you" That his face truly, truly shined. He said thank you, smiled again and moved on. I looked at my son and he looked at me, and it was this moment that I knew my son learned a lesson no one could ever teach him but God. I felt God's presence in a way I have never felt him before. It was like my son and I was surrounded by a kind of love only God can give. I could not help it tears rose up in my eyes and my son knew right then and there this is the way we were at the beginning. Not crippled, or broken. Innocent, caring, loving, and happy. I told my son every single human being could learn from this young man. Even though he has limitations and challenges and he cannot even walk for himself he was "happy". He encountered a stranger in a parking lot and shared that happiness. I have never, ever, encountered a person out of a wheelchair that beamed with the light of God as this young man did. I told my son that Satan brought this into the world "sin" what he deemed to be the death of us all. God is using to give hope and life. Remember that when life knocks you down, when Satan is on your back heels remember the young man. Never forget God crossing your path today remember the lesson you have learned from someone in a wheelchair. Do not pity or feel sorry about this young man for what is on the outside. God used the inside to show us what true happiness is.
 
Today my son and I had a little taste of that long forgotten paradise. The world may see a crippled man but not me and my son we saw a small glimpse of that paradise lost, we saw the glory of God.
 
I ask all of you today pray for yourself, pray that not only you but everyone will be like him. Pray that we will all be more like Mike.

© Shannon Wendler