Against The Wind




Isaiah 40:28-31
Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)
28 Haven’t you known, haven’t you heard
that the everlasting God, ADONAI,
the Creator of the ends of the earth,
does not grow tired or weary?
His understanding cannot be fathomed.
29 He invigorates the exhausted,
he gives strength to the powerless.
30 Young men may grow tired and weary,
even the fittest may stumble and fall;
31 but those who hope in ADONAI will renew their strength,
they will soar aloft as with eagles’ wings;
when they are running they won’t grow weary,
when they are walking they won’t get tired.

There are days that seems more difficult than others. The hardest days for me are the days that I do not remember the pain of my past. It is the grief for my fellow Christians that do not live in God’s promises. How we block His blessings and blame the world for our loss when in all reality it is we "Christians" that cause our deepest sufferings. 

I have seen so many try to bear the title “CHRISTIAN” and they honestly think they are because they say they believe in God. Believing, trusting, and having faith is being a Christian. You cannot compare or treat your Heavenly Father the same as you would every other human being on the face of this earth. God and man is like comparing apples to oranges, it is like mixing oil and water. It just does not go together. If we say we believe in a perfect Holy God that never breaks His promises then why do we act like those that are of this world?

Hebrews 11:6
And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

The walk for any Christian is hard, it is full of so many challenges and it is full of thousands of trials we will face till the grave. On this journey you will feel like you have your feet in quicksand, other times you feel like you are embracing the wind beneath your wings.

Fear is the number one faith killer in so many of us. I fought fear for years until I allowed God to show me that there was nothing through the Blood of His Son I should fear. Do not get me wrong it took a long time for me to understand this. Not because God was having a difficult time showing me, it was because I had not surrender my whole entire life to him. I was only allowing God bits and pieces of my life. He was welcome in my Bible study, he was welcome in my prayers. However I only spoke in those prayers I did not listen. I said I was a Christian but I had not surrendered my whole entire life to him.

One afternoon it became crystal clear! I watched a bird as it glided through the wind it never flapped its wings it eased through it. I learned a lot watching this tiny bird, what I learned is it did not fly in the direction the wind was blowing. This bird flew against the wind. I thought how strange, that has to be hard! It is not hard for the bird, it gives them lift and it strengthens their wings.  

As Christians we sway, we always have choices; left, right or stay in the middle. As I have grown in my walk with Christ I have learned not just one of the three above. I have learned and discovered like the bird has, that when you go against the wind life is much easier. How Shannon? Oh it is so simple….so we don’t have to struggle to fly in situations we have no control over. Situations we just do not have the strength to fight, we cannot run from it though. So God in his grace and infinite mercy on His Children has given us His strength to endure these kind of situations in our lives. As Christians we are to never fear, or be defeated by the world. So as the birds fly towards the oncoming wind which gives them lift, let’s all be like that bird and let our savior be the strong wind lifting us up. As we endure the hardships of life we can find rest, comfort, and easement in His strength not ours. The most amazing thing is in the process he strengthens our wings so when each trial that comes our way we becoming stronger and stronger.

I beg of each and every one of you go against the wind to the world this sounds insane when the world takes the easy way out. As a Christian full of faith go against it and as you do, do not resist it, let it lift you up, do not flap your wings against the winds of change and tire yourself. God knows you cannot do it alone. Depend on His strength not yours but His. Live on His promises and not your fears. So I ask you would you rather go against the wind and let the Lord strengthen you or would you rather go with the world and take the easy way out because you think you are in control?  

My dear sweet brothers and sisters please go against the wind so he can make you strong and as each trial, suffering, and hardships come your way you can ease through it and glide on not your strength but His, not on you own understanding. God promises us we will soar on nothing but faith!

© Shannon Wendler